Alice - Christina Henry

Publisher: Titan Books

Price: £6.99 Waterstones

Rating: 4*

I have the UK edition

I had never even heard of this book until I watched a Booktube video and I am really glad that I found this book because it really was a great read. Now the first thing I have to say is that if you don't like dark twisted tellings then don't read this because it is a very dark book that is nothing like the original storyline of Alice in Wonderland which I thought was amazing because I love books that are a retelling but its completely off the original or the opposite of the original.

Mr Carpenter, Cheshire, The Walrus, The Caterpillar and The Rabbit alongside Dor. All the original characters are found in the book with their original names apart from in one case, the Mad Hatter, who is now Nicholas The Hatcher of Heathtown, it was great to see a twist to the original characters. Now this book is not for the faint hearted because it could be off putting to someone women because they are brough across as victims because they are only there for men for their pleasure and for sex, it doesn't go into a lot of detail so it isn't too heavy however there is apart in the book where Alice and Hatcher are in the 'butterflies' club and that was a heavy and disturbing. I wouldn't say this is a horror book is more disturbing book because it isn't like the type of horror that has you hiding in your bed thinking something is going to jump out at you

I thought that this book was very well written and I did get very lost in the world and I did buy the second book I can not wait to read. I do have to say there are some trigger warning because of the rape and sexual abuse in this book, I don't want people going into this without knowing kind of what to expect without giving anything away.

This book is Alice but is far from a Wonderland tale.